Well, I'm in the middle of a 3-week vacation of sorts. Part of my to-do list includes fixing the archive function of the blog. I've been storing the blog on my free webspace at Adelphia.net for almost a year now, and have never been successfully able to figure out the path for my blogger archives. I've toyed with the idea of hiring a web expert to assist, I've tried email and live chat with Adelphia. Finally, I decided to let Blogger to the hosting. You'll see them at the top of the blog now, a necessary evil.
Voila! You can now access blogs of the archive on the right hand side, by month. I may change this in the future, but for now, you can get a quick snapshot in 30-day increments. Also, by clicking on the "previous posts" on the right, you can view articles by header instead of having to scroll all the way down. I plan on reducing the number of articles displayed at one time to reduce load time.
Interestingly, I've discovered a new service called Google Analytics, which lets you research the hits on your website. It's scary the amount of information that you can harvest about someone based on a simple script that you paste into your HTML. The neat thing for me, is I can get some idea of who is lurking out there, reading but not posting, and from where they are from!
I've long planned on keeping this blog small and discreet. The intended audience is family, really, and friends. I asked Kevin and Tab to assist with some articles if and when they can find the time. Really, the blog is a convenient way for me to post some of the interesting things I come across in my daily websearching, and an outlet for all the boardgaming thoughts I've had over the years but never have been able to write down.
My new job will allow me significantly more time for the most important things in my life, but this little hobby will get a quality upgrade this year too. I'd like to post more in-depth articles, statistics, and analysis of various boardgame topics. I'd also like to expand this as a location for our groups to link up and discuss games to be played, along with post mortems, etc. I still have some good content from my efforts in 2003-4 that need a home. A new organization method of all of the posts, perhaps by subject would be helpful. And I must figure out how to increase the font size of the names on the contributors on the right! (Anyone know how?)
So here's my wishlist for 2006:
1) One in-depth article per month, on an advanced topic.
2) More posts from Tab and Kevin (can I get one a quarter guys?).
3) A subject tab on the right where articles can be stored and referenced by subject, not just date.
4) Links to previous and future "Gatherings" (e.g. Gathering in Clarks Summit, Gathering in Northampton, Gathering in Dayton, etc.)
That's probably enough for 2006 - Any comments would be appreciated! (click "x comments" below!)
Friday, November 18, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment