Saturday, March 18, 2006

Remember "Searching for Bobby Fischer"?


Remember the movie, "Searching for Bobby Fischer"?

Chessbase.com linked to an article in the Courier, about Josh Waitzkin, the real-life chess prodigy that many compared to Bobby Fischer. Apparenlty, the 29-year old Josh has not played chess for the last five years, saying "I quit, cold turkey. For two years before that I hadn't been so happy playing the game. It had been a life's work for me between six and 22. A large reason I moved away from chess was because my relationship to the game was a very personal one - it was about internal cultivation, and I was really thrust into the spotlight in a huge way for the last seven years or so of my chess career because of the film. I'm not complaining about it but, slowly and surely, everything became about the glory and about the results, and that really wasn't what I loved about chess."

Josh was the audio commentary on the most recent Chessmaster PC/XBOX game release, and I really enjoyed his tutorials inside the game, Grayson and I both played through them all.

Fascinating article, check it out here.

No comments: