Monday, February 20, 2006

Puerto Rico: PC

I received the Puerto Rico for PC game in the mail a week or so ago, and after some tech support emails, and some forum surfing, have got it working like a charm.

Only $22.49 on Thoughthammer, it's cheaper than the actual boardgame, and a decent substitute for times when you have the itch for PR, and have difficulty finding 3-4 people to play with you.

I have been playing PR on Brettspielwelt for a couple of years now, and have gotten used to their interface. It took me several plays to get the hang of the BSW version, and it has the big advantage of natice multiplayer support online. As a matter of fact, it is only available to play on-line. Competition is top-notch, and you usually can find a game at any time of day or night.

The Eaglegames version of Puerto Rico seems to be built for single player action. It offers hot-seat (single computer, multiple humans) play, which might be okay if you are on the road and forgot to bring your game, or only have two players and need a 3rd computer opponent.

The multiplayer online play requires someone to host the game, and the inputing of IP addresses. Supposedly, there is a spot on the Eaglegames forums where you can find opponents, but I think this is a rediculous option when you can simply jump on BSW and play easily and for free.

The computer AI appears to be competent, and although I am 2 for 2 against the PC in 4-player games so far, I think that it will offer me a fair challenge. Nothing beats the "PR-Evolver" spreadsheet in terms of a challenge, but I think PR:PC will be okay.

The graphics are excellent, sounds and background music fine. There is a 3D view of your "island", with 3D representations of each of the buildings and plantations as you play. I prefer the 2D screen, with more information and simplicity, but it's neat to look at. I would have rather had them implement a better match-making service for multiplayer action, than simply add some eye-candy.

Overall, not bad for $22.49, I would recommend it for anyone who enjoys the boardgame, and is looking for an attractive solo option to play PR on the PC. For those willing to spend the time on the interface, I highly recommend spending some time on Brettspielwelt. Check out the Brettspielwelt "info" site, written in English, with excellent tutorials on this fantastic FREE online games service.

1 comment:

David Barlowe said...

Hey, I got my name posted on www.boardgamenews.com - Check out this news story, where I was listed as a source for the story on the Puerto Rico patch:

http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comments/puerto_rico_the_pc_game_beta_patch/

Nice!