What's the essence of a "Euro" or "German" board game?
The web site, "The Games Journal" (www.thegamesjournal.com) attempts to address this question in a interesting article, quoted below. TGJ has not had new content since September, but the webmaster decided to reopen it occasionally as new content was delivered to him.
The Games Journal is a excellent source for deeper reading on the subject of gaming, German-style games in particular. I'd recommend taking a long look at their archieves if you are interested in the subject.
Here's a quote from a new article:
"What I am going to try to do is briefly describe the characteristics that have made "German" or "Euro" style boardgames so popular. In the past when I have done this, people have tried to stretch definitions to include one or another game that they like, whereas I'm trying to find a more narrow definition. What I think happens is that people who regard themselves as fans of Euro-style games, come to regard any game they like to play as a Euro-style game, and try to find a definition that can encompass whatever they like. My view is that there are many games that have some Euro characteristics and not others, and we need not try to include those other characteristics in the Euro definition. For example..."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment