Yes, it's true. Microsoft has published five of my Settlers of Catan Online play tips on their website. They recently asked for some ideas, and as I've played over 100 games (and have a ranking in the 1700's, with a 40%+ win rate) I thought I'd throw a few ideas in! Check it out here. My handle is "phuntomx" on SoCO. Here's a quick sample of tip #5:
Also, be wary of the 6 and 8 locations, as these often attract the thief; they are rolled 14% of the time. 5 and 9 come up 11% of the time, still quite frequently, and are somewhat less likely to draw your opponent's thief.
- Phuntomx
----------------------------------------------------------------
Got it! Whilst returning from Saratoga Springs on a business trip, I stopped in Albany, and found an interesting game store. It turned out the be the best stocked store I have ever been in! Despite a rough exterior, the store was very clean, probably the best merchandised yet. The owner was a little gruff, but I found a treasure:
GOA
This Rudiger Dorn game (think Traders of Genoa (57), and Louis XIV (71)) is sold out everywhere I've looked. Released last year in the U.S. by Rio Grande games, online stores have sold out for some time. Apparently a small print run, the game is currently 13th in the world (according to the 'Geek), and has been compared very favorable with Puerto Rico on other "heavies" from the last few years (Princes of Florence, Power Grid, etc.). Some highly respected reviewers rated it one of the best games of 2004.
With all the good press, I was really excited to pick this up. Found it on the bottom shelf and in the corner of the store, for only $32. Despite searching for the last year, I have only seen Ebay copies at $60+ so I was really excited to not only find it, but at a low price. Now... if I can talk Kevin into slipping this one in-between PG, PR, St. Petersburg, Alahambra, San Juan... So many good games, so little time!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment