Saturday, August 06, 2005

my Northampton picnic games list

Bringing five games to the Northampton picnic tommorow. Here they are:

1. Through the Desert
2. Cartagena
3. San Juan
4. Settlers of Catan (+5-6 player expansion)
5. Chess (with clock)

Figuring Kevin will bring Power Grid, and there will be Pinochle, and probably some Scrabble, I decided to shoot for the lighter fare.

Settlers should draw a small crowd, and there will be many there who have played before (Al, Kevin, Doug, Mike, and others). It takes up some space (there will likely be picnic tables), so it will barely fit. It's about 90-120 minutes (longer with 5-6), if everyone plays quickly, which could be a downside.

Cartagena I've written about before, excellent quick game. I seem to enjoy it the most, it has a good look about it, and is easy to finish in 45 minutes. Very easy to play, but the clever will catch on quick and have the best chance of winning.

San Juan, excellent card game based on the boardgame Puerto Rico (currently #1 in the world according to the Geek, and I agree). San Juan is simpler, but maintains some of the interesting mechanisms of the board game, mostly the changing of roles, and primary and secondary abilities. Have played this dozens on times on the PC, and it is really addicting. Should be able to hook the more serious types into playing this one, and it won't take more than 60 minutes.

Through the Desert is a beauty. It's also go-like (meaning it's has some features of the ancient game of go), easy to understand, and has some depth to it. The clever will win every game, but you feel like you are in it to the end.

Chess I will try to play as Speed Chess. I have a clock, and will play 5 minutes a side, with 2 second countdown. There is a lot of noise banging on the clock, and this will draw opponents for sure. Also, Grayson plays this version very well (beat Kevin, me, my dad, my brother for example), and seeing a 7-year old in front of the board with a clock will be a great attraction! I'm sure many will be shocked when he beats 'em. (For fun, if I have time, I'll play some Chess960).

I'll write about the results sometime next week - are there any games that you'd take to a large picnic that I didn't choose?

1 comment:

David Barlowe said...

Sadly, I did not get to play one of these games!

I did enjoy Power Grid, and got to teach Puerto Rico to a 5-player group which was fun.

I need to host an event and break these puppys out...