Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Mykerinos at GoF5


Mike, Kevin and I played a game of Mykerinos during GoF5. It was my second game, and I had a chance to try the strategy that had worked for me when I was introduced to it by Kevin a few weeks earlier.

Mykerinos is an area control game, with an Egyptian theme. Points are scored directly in 4-phases by placing markers (which represent archeological "digs") on cards which have benefits to be unlocked by the majority player. These benefits include access to special abilities of various "patrons", which ultimately are counted in a final scoring round.

Some of their abilities include being able to place markers in normally inaccessable locations, or allow placement of markers in an exhibition hall used for final scoring. There is also a patron that allows placement an additional marker initially, retrieve markers from off-board areas. The most important patron (which I call "Mr. Brown") allows you to place markers in the final scoring area ahead of your opponents.

In the two games I've played, this ability seems to be the most powerful - significantly out-weighing the benefit of short term scoring.

My game with Kevin and Michael finished the same as my earlier experience - I placed majority markers early in the game on Mr. Brown, and once secured, locked up the most desirable end-game scoring spaces, scoring more points for myself, but also denying my opponents valuable points. In future games it will be seen if the Brown power can be counter-balanced by a different strategy.

No comments: