Monday, March 14, 2005

Doug Wins GOF 3!

Well he did it - Doug F. won the 4-player game of Settlers, besting Mike S., myself, and Jamie P. to conclude the final match of GOF 3. Final scores in the game were: Doug 10, Mike 9, Dave 8, Jamie 7. This brought the final GOF 3 scores to: Doug 16.2, Mike 14.1, Jamie 10.1, Dave 7.1.

Doug won Mare Nostrum and Settlers, coming in second in his Risk game (lost to Jamie). Mike won Risk, came in second in Mare and Settlers.

The final game of 4-player Settlers was interesting, and evenly matched. We played with a strict interpretation of the trade rules (no trading after building), and card playing. Also, standard 2-settlement start, and the suggested starting board found in the box.

Mike was on his own, expanding with no interferance, and taking the longest road from Doug during the midgame. Doug raced to 4-armies quickly, and hung onto the largest army card all game. Jamie got wedged between Mike and I, and I crawled along with only settlements, building 5 of them before finally upgrading to a city after playing a monopoly card to get some ore from everyone. Lack of ore/cities would be my undoing, as I was never able to generate a killer resource pile, and lost out in the army race to Doug.

Doug played the game very well, winning the game with a card pull at the end (a victory point). Jamie and I attempted to cut him and Mike out of trading at the end as they started to pull away, but we had the wrong resources to help each other.

Overall, though losing I thought I played my best, and the competition was fierce! I have lost 4-5 games in a row of Settlers now though... Not sure what to do about this!

Congrats again to Doug, who hosted an excellent party - and was a fine host of the evening. He wins a copy of "nostalgia Risk" for his fine play over two game nights! Good work Doug!

No comments: